It's not chili.....it's not really soup......more of an in between. We'll call it a "thick" soup. That's right.....it's soup with a little junk in the trunk.
So good, so easy and everyone in your family will love it. Unless, of course you have a 4 year old who has decided early on in life to be a vegetarian. Yep. 4.
Just a little upfront info, we're cooking this my way so.....you will be using your palm for measuring your spices. And don't flip a lid if you use a little more or a little less, it will be just fine and taste wonderful just the same.
Here's what you will need on hand, most of these things you probably already have in your pantry:
1.5 lbs. ground beef
28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
(Palm full) Minced onion or 1/2 of a small onion
(Palm full) Chili Powder
(Palm full) Ground Cumin
1 packet Ranch salad dressing mix (not the dip mix!)
1 1/2 c. vegetable broth
Taco blend shredded cheese
Tortilla chips (I happened to have the Scoops on hand...use whatever you like or none at all)
Cooking Spray (100% olive oil)
You can also add kidney beans or pinto beans...I just didn't have them on hand.
I used my big, enamelware dutch oven and I am using a gas stove.
1. Heat your pot on medium high with the bottom covered with a 100% olive oil cooking spray. Drop the ground beef in the heated pot and let sit....don't touch it until it gets a nice browning on the bottom and seals those juices in. About 2 minutes. Brown meat with the minced onion.
2. Once browned, add spices to the meat. Sprinkle the onion powder and garlic powder all over the meat, then add the chili powder and cumin. Add a large dash of paprika. Next, the ranch salad dressing packet. Stir until all meat is covered evenly.
3. Next, add the veggie broth and stir. Turn the heat down just a smidge and leave it to boil for about 5 minutes, stirring to keep from sticking.
4. Once boiling, turn heat down to medium low and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring when you think about it.
5. Fill large bowls, top with as much shredded cheese as you want and arrange the tortilla chips the way everyone likes. On top, on bottom, on the side, whatever floats your boat.
6. Enjoy the satisfied grins and full mouths!