Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sweet Potato Crunch...you now have your own signature dish for Thanksgiving

Do you love comfort food?

Of course you do.  Everyone loves comfort food. 

Comfort food gives you the warm and fuzzies.

It also gives you love handles....but who really cares when you're in the throes of a nice affair with a plate of apple pie or a bowl of chicken and dumplings. 

What makes comfort food an actual comfort can vary but it definitely has to taste good and it usually comes with a nice memory attached. 

Sweet Potato Crunch is one of those things I have had every Thanksgiving and Christmas for as long as I can remember.  It is warm and gooey, sweet and crunchy, and full of buttery goodness.

It reminds me of my grandmother, which always makes me smile.

It has become my signature dish for Thanksgiving.  It's nice to have a signature dish, isn't it.  Pumps up my ego a bit if I contribute a dish that everyone likes. 

Not everyone likes sweet potatoes....good thing that this doesn't really resemble sweet potatoes when you're done buttering and sugaring it up!

I use my own combo of recipes for this sometimes and then sometimes I grab one of the greatest cookbooks ever written off my shelf, Down Home in High Style, and use this recipe. 

First a little background on the cookbook.....Down Home in High Style (Treasured Recipes of the Wiregrass)....is a cookbook that has been in my family's kitchens forever.  If you are from The South...you need this cookbook.  My mom cooked so many tried and true recipes from this cookbook when I was a kid that many have become favorites of my own little family.  I was given my own copy of Down Home in 2004 by my aunt, the same year my grandmother passed away...when we were all clinging to anything that might make us feel like she was in the room with us still.  It has been a blessing to have in my kitchen. 
I will admit, there are some crazy recipes in this book....feel like cooking possum?  It's here. 
But it also has THE best cookie recipes as well as just about any potluck idea you can think of.

Now, that I've gotten that out of the way....here's the reason you came to this party.

I feel a bit guilty putting this out there....or maybe just selfish.  I have to say, I don't mind when people start messaging, texting, and calling me asking for this recipe.  There's that ego pump again.  Yet, I was taught to share all good things.....

note: you can adapt this however you please, of course.  it calls for canned mashed sweet potatoes which is what I usually use (it's easier and tastes just as good) but you can be as ambitious as you want. I am giving you my own adapted version.


Sweet Potato Crunch

preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 pan


3 cups canned, mashed sweet potatoes (about a can and 1/2) you can find a great organic version at Whole Foods, so good!

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup butter, melted

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs, beaten

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Pour into well-greased baking dish.  Prepare topping.


Crunch topping

1 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup flour

1 cup chopped pecans

Mix together brown sugar and butter; gradually add flour.  Mix well.
Stir in pecans.
Sprinkle over potato mixture
Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden.



Serves 4-6
Feel free to double for holidays!!  That's what I do.

The heart is for you, my friends.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...