Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for....idiosyncrasies

According to Merriam-Webster, idiosyncrasy means this:

id·i·o·syn·cra·sies

Definition of IDIOSYNCRASY

1
a: a peculiarity of constitution or temperament : an individualizing characteristic or quality b: individual hypersensitiveness (as to a drug or food)
2
: characteristic peculiarity (as of temperament); broadly: eccentricity
 
How many idiosyncrasies do you have that others may...or may not, know about?  I have so many I wouldn't dare try to count them.  I guess we all do.  Even people you may think are the most monotone, boring people have idiosyncrasies (monotone and boring would be two of them).....some of us just have quirkier little idiosyncrasies.  My whole family is one big idiosyncrasy.  I am probably the worst offender.  I'll list a few to help you feel more human....and I am only showing one part of my pantry....just so you can't judge (too harshly). What a mess.
 
  • My pantry has all the cereal boxes, rice, granola bars, everything....facing the same way.  The nutrition graph is never showing.  Weird, I know.
  • My grocery cart looks like an OCD documentary...everything is in "order", put together and ready to be bagged. And God bless the bagger who screws that up.
  • I pop my knuckles.  Repeatedly.  When my dad was in the hospital so long, my step mom and I were in the (quiet) waiting room for hours on end plenty of times....this is where I realized that I pop my knuckles.  I think I've probably done it forever but haven't really noticed until I realized it was driving her nuts. 
  • I drive with my left leg up in the seat. All the time.
  • I go through worst case scenarios in my head all the time...drive thru window pedestrian attack? Random shooter in the movie theatre? Wild dogs on my walk? I'm so weird.
  • I double and triple lock my car before I go into a store. Yes, I know I locked it the first time....but I don't trust that I did.
  • I turn down the radio in the car when I'm stuck in traffic or lost.

My daughter won't sleep by a window.  My son, freaks if sour cream comes anywhere near him or if there is anyone chewing ice in the same room as him.  My youngest son....well, we won't even start that list because he is as quirky as they come.  My husband has super sonic ears at the dinner table and can tell if a kid is even thinking about smacking.

We are all a bit crazy.  But that's part of who we are....I guess we would all be pretty boring if we didn't have any odd quirks. 

What idiosyncrasies do you have that may (or may not) drive the people you live with nutty?

This post is part of the A to Z blogging challenge.



3 comments:

  1. Just a few - the way the Christmas is decorated, the way dishwasher is loaded, and (like you) the way the groceries are loaded on the conveyer. Great post :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh. I was actually trying to think of a habit of mine that might drive my husband crazy. He is so smart because he would never, ever tell me, but I'm pretty sure he hates how I crack my ankles every morning upon waking. Sometimes the pop is so loud it wakes HIM up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, we all have them. I *have* to sleep on the side of the bed furthest from the door. And when leaving the house, my other half always walks down the garden path, then goes back to the door and checks just in case it's magically unlocked itself :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...